Apply for the Two-Year MSW Full-Time Program
Logan Campus Only
The two-year full-time program begins fall semester each year. Over the course of semesters, students will complete 60 credits. In addition to coursework students in the two year program will complete two internship, or practicum, experiences totaling 900 hours of field education. Applications may be submitted in the Fall prior to admittance. Notification of admittance will be distributed in December of each application cycle.
For an overview of the program schedule and requirements for admitted MSW Students, visit this page: MSW Program Requirement Sheet
November 15, 2019
November 1, 2020
November 1, 2021
November 1, 2022
Application Requirements - NO Entrance Exam is Required for Utah State University's MSW Program
You may start your application here You will begin by filling out a profile and basic application. Once you complete the application and the associated fee, you will gain access to the portal that contains the supplementary items: Your statement of purpose, letters of recommendation and resume.
Applicants are required to submit official transcripts for each college or university attended. Please have the transcripts sent to the USU School of Graduate Studies Office. (USU Transcript code: 4857)
- Email: email@example.com
- Mail: School of Graduate Studies, 0900 Old Main Hill, Logan, UT 84322-0900
Applicants who have graduated from USU do not need to submit a transcript.
Coursework requirements: A 3.0 or higher grade point average for most recent 60 semester or 90 quarter credits; GPA of 3.3 or higher for al social work courses attempted. Each Social work course attempted must have earned a B grade or higher. Coursework should include at least one introductory social or behavioral science course and a research methods/statistics course. A minimum of 21 semester hours of social or behavioral sciences is expected; students deficient in this area will need to be highly qualified in other areas to be considered for admission.
The online application portal will have a document for you to download and complete with the following questions serving as your statement of purpose. You are limited to 1000 characters per question section.
- Why are you seeking an MSW at this time? Describe your career goals and how they have evolved. How have your past and present life experiences influenced your decision to pursue a career in the field of human service?
- What personal and professional qualities do you have that will contribute to your success in graduate school and in the profession of social work? What limitations and challenges do you have that might create barriers to your success?
- What areas of social work practice interest you and why?
- Discuss your experience with and reflect on your comfort level related to working with diverse and vulnerable populations.
Discuss the fit between your personal values and the profession of social work’s commitment to advancing human rights and social and economic justice.
- Discuss your experience with, interest in, and ideas about engaging in social work research and policy practice.
- Discuss your experience with, interest in, and ideas about engaging, assessing, intervening, and evaluating practice with individuals, families, groups, organizations, and communities.
- Discuss your previous academic experience and reflect on your academic strengths and limitations.
Three satisfactory letters of recommendation are required for the completion of any MSW application. Ideally, one letter will be submitted for each applicant from a faculty member familiar with the applicant's academic work, a field supervisor from a practicum or internship experience, and a supervisor from a significant human services work or volunteer experience. If the applicant will be graduating with a BSW this coming semester, a letter from his/her practicum/internship supervisor is required for consideration into the Advanced Standing program.
The School of Research and Graduate Studies will send each recommender an electronic form to complete, as identified by the applicant. In the application portal, the applicant will simply identify the recommender and her or his email address.
The application process requires a resume with relevant research, work and volunteer experience. A template will be provided to you in the application portal - please follow the instructions on the form.
Tuition and fees for Summer 2020-221: $445 per student credit hour (subject to annual increases)
MSW Full-Time (2-year) Traditional Program: 60 credit hours